Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The Last Summer Project.

Man, it's quiet around here.

At this time last week the boys and I were waiting for our papier mache bowls to dry so we could put them to good use.

We took a nudge from Handmade Home (again) and started cutting up used paper and junk mail into strips. Good scissor practice for little hands. Then, in the spirit of using what you have, which is a major theme in the book, we just added water to some old Elmer's Glue we already had and without knowing if it would be TOO sticky or not, we dove right in.

It was pretty fun! The boys really liked the idea of being able to make their very own bowls. Of course they repeatedly asked why they couldn't be used for food but were happy they could put treasures in them.

It was a little tricky getting the dried bowl separated from the forms, in this case, glass bowls. The boys used foil as a barrier and that seemed to be best. I used plastic wrap. I don't know if it is just the nature of papier mache or if it was the non-standard white glue we used, but it was REALLY difficult to get my bowl off. I almost wanted to give up but then I would lose my neat paper bowl AND my pretty salad bowl. I didn't relent and just pried at the thing all day and it finally gave.

Now I have a bowl for yarn projects in the living room. One boy uses his for rocks and I think I saw a treasured pocket knife in the other. We will probably have many bowls once the rainy season is around.

I am off to play with a little lady and count the minutes til' we get to go pick up our boys.

Have a great Tuesday. 


No comments:

Post a Comment